Now in season, zucchini is a must-indulge-in veggie. What’s hot about zucchini? It is one of the lowest calorie vegetables – just 15 calories per half cup cooked, it’s got a hefty dose of potassium (which lowers blood pressure), and is an awesome source of beta-carotene (aka vitamin A). Plus, it has a mild taste which makes it one of the most versatile and enjoyed vegetables (have you ever met someone who didn’t love zucchini?). Because of it’s versatility it can be included in countless dishes. Here are how some of our followers enjoy their zucchini the most:
- In lasagna (vegetable or beef)
- Zucchini Tini (aka Zucchini cocktail- that’s right!)
- Grilled on the BBQ (served with a little mustard for dipping….person fav :))
- In cookies, muffins, cakes or other baked good. One reader suggests grating up any excess zucchini from the summer (skin and all!) and freezing it for quick use later. Zucchini chocolate cake is one of my favourites. And it’s great for kids – they won’t notice the zucchini while getting all the nutritional goodness it has to offer.
- In a curry (use zucchini instead of eggplant)
- Try yellow or golden zucchini to mix it up and add some colour to your dishes
Did you know zucchini is part of the squash family and can grow up to a meter long!? Now that’s impressive!
How do you enjoy your zucchini??