We all love top 10 lists, am I right? But why do nutrition lists always seem to feature crazy “superfoods” that you’ve either never heard of, don’t know how to prepare or can’t find at your local grocery store? Frustrating. So in the spirit of gettin’ real, we’ve comprised our list of the top 10 common, everyday, healthy foods, you probably aren’t eating enough of, but should.
In no particular order – we don’t discriminate when it comes to healthy foods– here they are:
1. Beans - like kidney beans, black beans, chickpeas, white beans, navy beans, lentils – we don’t care, they’re all healthy. Full of soluble fibre, magnesium, folate and potassium- all important nutrients the average person doesn’t get enough of.
2. Leafy greens -like kale or collards – nutritional superstars compared to their other leafy counterparts like ice berg or even romaine lettuce. And you can eat them as a “chip.” Ever made kale or collard chips? Yum.
3. Berries – like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries – you prob eat enough of these guys in the summa’ time, but they are worth eating all year round for their antioxidant and fibre content. Plus they are delicious!
4. Seeds – like pumpkin seeds – nuts always seem to make nutrition lists, but what about the seed? Just as nutritious as nuts, seeds are often a bit lower in cals without compromising on the healthy fats and nutrients. Pumpkin seeds in particular are a great source of iron.
5. Barley – is awesome! It’s a whole grain packed with fibre and taste yet it never seems to end up on our dinner plates. Eat it.
6. Avocado – This fruit is very different than many other fruits, or vegetables for that matter, since it contains plenty of good-for-you monounsaturated fats which aren’t very plentiful in other foods. Besides, who doesn’t love guac?
7. Fish – especially fatty fish like salmon, trout, sardines – do you get your 2 servings per week minimum? Didn’t think so. Eat fish, it’s got EPA & DHA (aka omega-3s) – you need that, it’s essential.
8. Artichokes – Mostpeople have tried artichoke hearts but have you ever eaten a whole artichoke? Besides being one of the vegetables with the most soluble fibre, they are also so fun to eat. Don’t know what I mean? YouTube “How to eat an artichoke.”
9. Orange veggies – like carrots, sweet potato, squash, orange peppers – they are oozing with Beta carotene (vitamin A), making them your eye’s and skin’s best friend. They are also packed with antioxidants and other phytochemicals which fight disease. Do you need any more reasons to include the orange everyday?
10. Water – I know, it’s not a food, but it sustains life. Enough said.